Friday, 24 February 2012

Feb 23-24 Nothing less than spectacular!!!!

We got to the airport for our trip to Jodhpur. A world class airport having 'west' written all over! A very stark contrast from the city's jungle!
Jodhpur's airport was quaint and tiny! A driver was waiting for us there with a sign "Debbie Galea - Camp Osian". I was delighted seeing him there - that meant that my persistent emails worked making sure I have everything in place! By then I was craving the nicotine (it seems and feels I'm barely smoking... By the way 10 packets of cigarettes from Doha were just $15!). Anyways we commenced our trip to Osian some 70km north of jodhpur.
On the way we passed small villages on a bumpy tarmac road. Here we saw many more water buffaloes than in Delhi that are treated as kings! But they seem to know the rules. The driver honks and the herd moves.
Having arrived at the camp it felt like someone pulled me out of my world and put me in some fantasy! I don't think 'magical' quite describes it either! The camp or what I thought the palace was made out of red stone and built in the time of the Raj. Again, the photos will do little justice to what I saw and felt! We were welcomed by a fresh glass of lemonade and headed off on the (enormous) camel for our sunset ride! What a laugh! Getting up for starters was a feat in itself. Obviously showing my crack as I got up, the camel seemed to make excruciating noises, so as to say..."boy you're on fat ass lady"! I was happy he did the exact same noises when Gabie came up too! Our camel guide was really nice too!
When back we were escorted to our tents! How pretty was that! I was really happy for having come all the way out here!
I could go on and on but in short, we had traditional music, dancing and good food (and a fanfarun solo American who decided to befriend us and join us for dinner)
This morning we took a safari jeep ride in the desert which will go down as 'one of the most memorable days of my life' day. We went to the nearby village and had tea, saw an old man do pottery and ladies weave. The children....oh the children!!! Such poverty but yet all waving and happy! They don't ask for money all they wanted were pens to write! We asked our driver to take us to a shop to buy some... Flocks of kids saying 'me' 'me' 'me'! We were out of pens in less than you knew it! (Valley, Fr. George did give me a pen for me to give you.... Tell him thank you but you won't be getting it anytime soon....sorry)

I can leave India saying that I've had a great time already! The food is amazing and spicy means spicy here! Up until now the bowel movement seems to be in place but I shouldn't be too quick to speak... Ghax jien bezzulla!!!!

Now we are in Jodhpur at the Kothi Heritage! Beautiful Indian welcome!!!! And squeaky clean! I feel I'm growing dreads in my hair bil hmieg!!!!

To be continued.....

3 comments:

  1. madoffi Debz what a great time you are having and how wonderfully you describe it!!! I can almost see what you are seeing - ah cant wait to see all your pix and videos and long chats on skype!!! what a dream - so well planned too - it must have taken ages to put everything together considering such a large country. The phone call was a bonus too - glad mama was here to speak to you too
    keep up the good times and savour the authentic food...so love you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so happy for you that you are really having an awesome great time....hehe althought you seem to be in your seventh heaven...I cant imagine myself in this desert of a place thinking of much what to do ...but perhaps having keen people with keen ideas like you would make me change my mind...take care qabbi xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. and plssssss keep these updates/blogs pouring in...this is so cool living each day out there with you (almenu xejn xejn semi dreams come true hehehe)

    ReplyDelete